UM Research and Publication Center
The University of Mindanao acknowledges the vital role of research as a catalyst in the promotion of instruction and extension in higher education. As such, it focuses its strategic direction on the development of a strong research culture that would enable its faculty, staff and students to be engaged in research that is responsive to the local, regional and national development needs.
The Research and Publication Center (RPC) was established to manage and implement the research program of the University. It specifically identifies commitment to: operate on a relevant research agenda; develop skilled, committed, conscientious, and prudent researchers; upgrade research-support mechanisms such as facilities, devices, policies and systems; produce, present, publish and practice researches that respond to the needs of the time and contribute to the sustainable development of society; and establish and sustain strategic linkages with external agencies for purposes of collaboration and funding.
The RPC handles the following research and development agencies within the university: The University of Mindanao Institute of Popular Opinion, the Coleoptera Research Center, and the UMAsenso Hub. You may also visit the official online portal of the UM International Multidisciplinary Research Journal.
The University Research Program is guided by “The Sustainable Development Agenda Framework” that encompasses the following areas:
Sustainable economy area focuses on research related to eco-friendly enterprise development and business practices.
Sustainable industries and technology area focuses mainly on research that seeks to invent, innovate, improve, and enhance the industrial utilization and technology application that are recognized as “green” technologies. These center on the relevance of these technologies in the local setting.
Sustainable Environment area focuses on the sound and balanced interaction with ecology. Researches are on climate change, disaster mitigation, renewable energy, and the preservation of the environment.
Sustainable Institutions area seeks to integrate the human and social components in sustainable development. Researches concentrate on leadership education, rule of law, good governance, public health, welfare and culture.
To be able to adequately respond to the challenges and opportunities brought about by the changing social demands, the University recognizes the need to continuously strengthen its systems and sustain its institutional effectiveness and efficiency. Hence, to ensure the relevance of its programs, mechanisms and services, UM also conducts researches for their continual improvement.
Internal funding for research projects may be accessed through the following:
- Institutional Research Grant given to faculty and staff whose research proposals are in consonance with the research agenda and pass the criteria stipulated in OPM 14.01.
- Dolores P. Torres Research Grant is a competitive grant which aims to provide financial support to outstanding graduate and undergraduate student researchers.
- Guillermo E. Torres Research Fellowship is open to all researchers from other institutions. Candidates must have a relevant master’s degree in minimum and be an independent scholar with a strong research achievement.
External funding for research projects are accessed through RPC’s external partners/collaborators.
Financial support is given to faculty and staff for paper presentations and publications subject to institutional policies, standards and requirements.
The UM RPC has partnered with public and private institutions from here and abroad to conduct studies in various fields of interest. It continually seeks out research endeavors, fostering linkages with various organizations, and encourages communication with the university for these projects.
Research Partners and Linkages
- Research Association of Colleges and Universities in Region XI (RACUR XI)
- Davao Region Industry Energy and Engineering Research and Development Consortium (DRIEERDC)
- Davao Colleges and Universities Network (DACUN)
- Davao Intellectual Property Society
- California Academy of Science
- Daugavpils University, Latvia
- Idealsearch Consulting Company
- Davao City Water District (DCWD)
- Commission on Higher Education
- Mindanao Development Authority
- Department of Interior and Local Government
- National Geographic, Inc.
- Davao Oriental State College of Science and Technology
- Biomass Japan
- Nippon Steel & Sumikin Engineering Co. Ltd.
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung - Democratic Leadership and Active Civil Society Employment
- Sagittarius Mines, Incorporated
- Protected Area Management Board of Mt. Hamiguitan Range Wildlife and Sanctuary
- Peace and Equity Foundation
- Save the Children International & Action Against Hunger International
- Philippine National Police - Special Action Force
- PNP RHS-XI
- Department of Science and Technology XI
- Franklin Baker