The University of Mindanao supports the government objective of building a strong republic through excellence in sports as mandated by the Constitution of the Philippines which provides that:
The state shall promote physical education and encourage sports program, league competition and amateur sports including training for international competition to foster self-discipline, teamwork and excellence for the development of a healthy and alert citizenry;
All educational institution shall undertake regular sports activities throughout the country in coordination with athletic clubs and other sectors.
On this basis the University of Mindanao shall establish and maintain a UM sports team that shall invite talented men and women as members and who shall be granted scholarship as incentive.
Purpose and Objective
- To promote the image of the University through excellence in sports by the competing in various local, national and international athletic meets/games.
- To train and develop athletes in the rudiments of their sports with extensive awareness in proper decorum as well as in specific rules and regulations for sports competitions
- To promote cooperation, camaraderie and harmony among higher educational institutions, here and abroad.
- To link with government and non government sports associations.
- To actualize the commitment of the University of Mindanao in democratizing access to quality education.
Scope and Coverage
- The UM Sports Team shall primarily consist of young men and women who have passed the criteria of membership and screening and who have favorably maintained their academic standing throughout their stay with the UM Sports Team and in the University.
- The UM sports Team shall consist of the following:
- Team Sports
- Individual Sports
Qualification for Membership
To qualify as a member of the UM Sports Team, he/she must
- be a Filipino Citizen
- a bonifade student of UM;
- posses potential/prowess in a specific sports and able to play in a team;
- carry a minimum academic load of 18 units in a semester
- be able to pass medical and drug test; and
- not have been charged with violation of the Student Code of Conduct
The Coach shall recommend to the UM Scholarship Committee; with proper endorsement by the Head Coach and Sports Director the qualified scholars for approval. Scholarship grant may be enjoyed for maximum period of five (5) playing years only.
After acceptance as a member of the UM sports Team the member should comply with the following conditions to retain membership:
- Attend trainings as a schedule by respective coachers;
- Not to be tardy during trainings ad competitions;
- Manifest proper attitude and decorum in an out of the University;
- Assist during the annual University Intramurals as maybe required; and
- Earn a passing grade in all subjects enrolled.
In the event that an athlete one (1) failing grade, his/her scholarship will still be renewed for the succeeding semester but on probation. He/she has to immediately re-enroll the failed subject and pay the corresponding charges. Succeeding failure will automatically disqualify him/her for renewal.
Classification of membership
- Class 'A' Scholar - one who enjoys free 100% of the total assessment. To qualify, one must have qualified and won in the National competition;
- Class 'B' Scholar- one who enjoys free 100% of tuition fee privilege. To qualify, one must have qualified and won in the Regional competition; and
- Class 'C' Scholar- one who enjoys free 50% of tuition free privilege. To qualify, one must have passed the screening and recommended by the coach for acceptance.
Training and Participation in Athletic Competitions
- Trainings are held regularly as designated by respective coaches and duly approved by the Sports Director. Special practices may be scheduled as needed; and
- All members must attend athletic affairs, practices and official engagements as specified. In any case, they cannot be present; they must notify their coaches prior to the scheduled practiced. Unjustifiable absences shall be dealt with accordingly.
Code of Discipline
- The members of the UM sports Team shall be governed by the following Code of Conduct. Any violation of which may be ah ground for termination or demotion of the scholarship grant. Due process shall however be observed. The Scholarship Committee shall hear and decide on such cases.
- Habitual absences of at least three (3) absences from meetings, practices and engagements;
- Habitual tardiness of at least six (6) occasions of tardiness in meetings, practices and engagements;
- Misconduct during practices or engagements;
- Not wearing the prescribed uniform during engagements;
- Reporting under the influence of liquor during practices of engagement;
- Discourtesy to coach and sports director;
- Fighting with fellow athletes;
- Using prohibited drugs;
- Destroying UM owned sports equipments